Will Contest Attorney in New York City
Disputing the Validity of a Will in Manhattan and Brooklyn, NY
A will contest is a lawsuit that is filed in order to challenge the validity of a will. If a will contest is successful, part all of it will be cancelled and therefore unenforceable. Whether you need to file a will contest or challenge a lawsuit of this kind, an attorney at the New York City law firm of Melnik Law Group, PLLC can help. We represent clients in all types of
probate matters in Manhattan, Brooklyn and throughout New York.
There are various grounds under which one may wish to contest the validity of a will:
- Incapacity - the decedent was not of sound mind when the will was drafted and/or signed. If the decedent was under the age of 18 at the time that the will was drafted or was mentally ill or under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, this may also prove incapacity.
- Coercion or fraud - the decedent was tricked or forced into signing the will.
- Forgery - any part of the will, including the decedent's signature, was altered or counterfeit.
- Existence of a later will - the will was drawn up before a later, valid will. The later will takes precedence over the former will.
- Improper execution - the will was not properly executed in accordance with New York's formal requirements.
In the event of a will contest in New York City, probate proceedings will be placed on hold until the validity of the will is determined by the court. Upon the conclusion of a will contest, the court may decide to uphold the will as is, exclude part or all of the will or admit an earlier or later will.
New York City Will Contest Lawyer
Make sure your legal rights are protected in will contest proceedings. Contact a
New York City lawyer
at our law firm to discuss your particular situation and how we can help.